Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Thursday 13 February 2014

Talking About Plans and Intentions

Salut!
Lots of useful vocabulary in today's notes.  This all came about because I wanted to say 'I'm trying to...'  like 'I'm trying to concentrate' or 'I'm trying to watch this film.' 
This is what I found on my travels...

apprendre à - to learn to
continuer à - to continue to
commencer à - to start

arrêter de - to stop
décider de - to decide to
essayer de - to try to (jumping up and down when I found this!)
refuser de - to refuse to

e.g.

J’apprends à manger plus sainement.
I am learning to eat more healthily.


J’ai décidé de devenir végétarienne.
I have decided to become a vegetarian.


J’ai  décidé de chercher un petit boulot.
I have decided to look for a part-time job.

J’apprends à nager.
I am learning to swim.

Avez-vous essayé de prendre du paracetamol?
Have you tried to take some paracetamol?
 
J’essaie de faire mes devoirs.
I am trying to do my homework.
                   devenir végétarienne.
                   become a vegetarian.
                   manger moins de chocolat.
                   eat less chocolate.
 (Si vous croyez que, vous croyez tout!)

Je refuse de fumer des cigarettes.
I refuse to smoke cigarettes.

J’ai arrêté de boire du cola.
I have stopped drinking coke.

Je commence à nager.
I am starting to swim.

Je continue à faire plus de sport.
I am continuing to do more sport.

I hope this helps and you find these phrases useful.  I will definitely be more confident with 'essayer de' now.
Au revoir!
Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment