Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Wednesday 24 July 2013

Art Journal Freedom

On one of my many travels in the land of Google I stumbled upon a woman called Dina Wakley and her amazing book called Art Journal Freedom.  It looked really good (and do-able, even for me) so I bought it.  What an absolute treasure it is.  I'm using it as a course, to work through and explore at my own pace.  It covers concepts like symmetry and asymmetry, white space, continuity and closure etc and it's absolutely brilliant.  I am having such fun working through the projects in there.  This is my first go:
I had such fun with this.  I love to CASE cards, so 'casing' this was no trouble at all.  It also means I now know what Dylusions inks are and I'm very, very impressed.  Soon I'll show you what this lead to next.
Anyway, I sprayed some dylusions onto watercolour paper and stamped it with my SU dot dot dot stamp and put some random numbers on an acrylic block and stamped it onto the paper, then cut the paper into four squares.  I haven't got a sewing maching, so I've drawn faux stitching around the edges. 

I stamped in Spiced Marmalade using my Clockworks stamp onto a tag and cut it into pieces, and flagged the ends.  I was very pleased because the collage uses music paper, but I just ran my SU music notes wheel in black ink over a piece of scrap paper and tore it into the size and shape I wanted.
And there you have it.
Now, this is my dilemma about stamps.  Loads of people make fabulous stamps that are great for art journaling, don't they?  But they are not cheap.  What if I buy one and it arrives and it's the wrong size for the project I want to use it for?  Or suppose I like it but I only use it for one project and then never use it again.  I've been down that route many times before getting into Stampin Up stuff.  So I am learning from past experience.
Two things came out of this:
1.  Use images found on google etc as you can size them to any size you need for your projects.
2.  Learn to draw.  This is a biggie for me, as basically I can't do it.  But some weeks ago, before we went on holiday I searched for 'How to draw a face' on t'internet and found a step by step way to do it and I'm very pleased with the results.  Now I'm beginning to draw whole people and I'm really enjoying it.  I'm not ready to add them to a page yet, but it's fun to practise in a sketch book.  I, never in a million years, thought I'd see myself drawing things at this stage in my life, so I'm quite surprised by this.
The adventure continues...!
Back soon with more, I'm sure
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment