Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Monday 3 March 2014

Que and qui ... and then some!

Bonjour!
Ne vous en faites pas!
I found this really difficult at first, and I teach English as a foreign language, so I understood the grammar.

Let me explain.  I'm talking about (cue posh word...) Relative Pronouns.  But if I'd put that as the title of today's post you'd have switched off tout de suite, wouldn't you? 

I'm going to talk about the relative pronouns

qui : who, which, that (subject)  and
que: whom, which, that (object)

Because sometimes it's the little words that are the most important!

Here we are:

L'automobiliste qui parle français.
The motorist who speaks french.

La voiture qui est en panne.
The car which has broken down.

But:

Le camion que vous avez réparé.
The lorry which you repaired.

I'm just going to give you a simple rule, in case you struggle with things like who is the subject and who is the object.

If, in English the verb comes immediately after 'who', 'which' or 'that' then use qui.
But if, again in English, not the french sentence yet, there is another word between 'who', 'which', 'that' and the verb (the doing word) then use que.
The above rule works every time and is really simple once you get used to it.

However, I have a treat for you (and me!) today, as I've found the most awesome video that explains it much better than I can.  As you watch it, with the examples he gives, check back with the rule above and all will (hopefully!) become clear.

Here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYZZR3S7sZw&list=PL2AKGdFj6mUekxfeHnTGhXYX3ibYH6H4n

Ammusez-vous!


Thanks for dropping in today.
More soon, I'm sure
Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment