Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Friday 11 April 2014

Venir de - to have just done something

My husband is very good at maths and I am (usually!) very good at English.  We talked about how very often in maths you are given a rule, the teacher demonstrates that the rule works (take long division for example) the pupil goes away and tries some exercises to prove the rule works, then you apply the rule for the rest of your maths life.
But isn't learning a language just like that?  You get given a rule (how and when to use que or qui for example).  You do loads of exercises so you realise you can trust the rule and it won't let you down, then you go off into your chosen language knowing you can apply that rule and it will always be correct.

So here is today's rule!

Venir de:  The French do not say, "I have just (done something)." ;  they say, "I come from (doing something)" 

Here's the rule that never fails:

present tense of venir + de + the infinitive of the next verb

You'll come across this a lot, especially at GCSE level.

Here are some examples.

I have just arrived = je viens d’arriver.






1. Je viens de voir le film.
I have just seen the film.

2.  Il vient de terminer son travail.
He has just finished his work.

3.  Je viens de terminer mon travail.
I have just finished my work.

4.  Ils viennent d’acheter la maison.
They have just bought the house.

I hope you find this useful and notice it in your reading and writing.
Back soon
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment