Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Sunday 4 May 2014

Nice Too

Woken up this morning and I am thrilled and delighted and mega excited to a) be in France, but more importantly b) in this amazingly beautiful part of France.
This is how it was:
John left the keys in the door all night and having struggled to get in, we now found it impossible to get out!  Neither of us brought a mobile phone.  And let's be honest, who would we have phoned anyway?
After much persuasion, John finally managed to unlock the door and I packed away my panic and claustrophobia and we set off to find the church and get some breakfast.
We walked up Rue Gambetta and found Passage Gregoire but we were quite early so we stopped off at a cafĂ© on the other side of the road for a quick coffee.  Having supped said beverage it was quite clearly now time to cross the road.  Except... now the Nice marathon had started and the first of 9000 people were running up the road.  I don't think, "Excuse-moi!" would cut it somehow.
But time dragged on.  Every so often there were little gaps in the groups of runners, so we decided to chance it.  John got across pretty niftily but I got half washed up the road like a piece of flotsam and was suddenly a participant in the Nice marathon, until I leaped onto the pavement on the other side!  Phew!
And so we walked down quite a rough looking side street and into the Victoire Church.  It turned out to be pretty awesome.  It was all tiled and really cool.  We sang some songs in French.  It really messes with your head because some of the songs we knew in English, but suddenly were only capable of singing them in French even though our brains knew perfectly well what we were singing in English.  I don't know how to explain it.  Right brain was going, "Pull yourself together woman," and left brain was going, "LOLOLOLOL!"
Then a beautiful moment when we greeted one another.  There was lots of kissing, but this beautiful woman came up to me and said, "Ma soeur!" and kissed me and I thought, 'Yes we are sisters because we both love the same God and even though I'm in another country God loves you and He loves me and it's amazing, isn't it?' and I was trying not to cry.
More singing and then a sermon relayed to us in English through headphones, which was awesome.  I did look at the Bibles but they were so expensive.  Maybe one day.

Then we decided to go for a walk through an area called The Promenade du Paillon.  It's beautiful and fun and imaginative.
I am blown away by the architecture.
It's like how I imagine Cuba or something from Love In The Time of Cholera!


And then I finally came face to face with Apollo.  So pleased to have found this.


 Strolled home and bought our first bread from a boulangerie but then went into a supermarket to buy essentials like tea bags and milk.
More tomorrow.
Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment