Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Sunday 3 November 2013

The Woman In The Fifth

You'd only have to spend a short amount of time with me to find I'm totally book obsessed and have been all my life.  My blog wouldn't be truly mine unless I told you what I was reading.  And, nine times out of ten, I'll rave about the book and put it on my list to be read again in two years time.
But not this time.
Lesson learned:  Just because a book is set in Paris, and the writer has won awards, it doesn't mean the book will be good!  I was totally into it.  Man leaves America in a hurry, and, bit by bit we find out why.  He gets a strange job and lives in a sleazy apartment, but I'm good with it.  And then, by the time it's too late, the whole point of the story is revealed and, frankly, "Nooooooooo!"  is what you get from me.  But fortunately by then there were only a few chapters to go, and I was prepared to wade on, hoping right up to the last minute that the author would change his mind, but no.
And so I will never read this book again.  But it did bring a flavour of Paris into my life for a while and I'm grateful for that.  People buy this book in their droves in France, apparently.  Well they're welcome to it.  At least mine was a library book and didn't cost me any money.  Thank goodness for that!
Back soon
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment